Vacancy No: MEC-004
Post Title: Managing director
Organization: Moraa Educational Complex
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Probation Period 3 Months
No of the Post: 1
Salary: As per NTA Salary Policy
Experience 10 Years
Date Announced: 29, Aug, 2018
Closing Date: 27, Sep, 2018
About Moraa Educational Complex
Moraa Educational Complex (MEC) is a comprehensive and all-inclusive educational center for women in Afghanistan. MEC is the first leading, the biggest conspicuous and the most unique educational complex in the history of Afghanistan. MEC offers practical and secure environment in which girls and young women can be educated according to Islamic and Afghan values, to a high educational standards based on modern teaching methods.
The post Managing Director has been created with the intention that the job-holder will be a member of the President’s senior staff, reporting directly to the President. She will handle matters of policy and institutional importance on behalf of the President, manage special projects related to university officials, community and government leaders, and oversee the MEC’s organizational units.
The Managing Director (MD) will manage operations and lead strategic operational initiatives for the MEC. While the MD is responsible for achieving MEC goals and assuring that day-to-day operations align with these goals, the MD will directly assist the President in meeting these responsibilities and serve as the second-in-command of MEC operations.
The MD will be responsible for the supervision of the programmatic departments of MEC. Under the leadership of the President, the MD will set direction for MEC’s Associate Directors, and serve as their mentor, coach, and guide. Through metrics established with the MD, the MD will manage MEC activities and hold the staff accountable for performance against those metrics. The Managing Director will be responsible for drafting/creating MEC’s annual report and operating budgets. She will identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities. She will also lead hiring of new staff, promotions/raises of current staff, as well as nurture organizational culture and cohesiveness of MEC.
The MD will assist the President with strategic planning and the execution of strategic initiatives to align the organization’s programs, projects, and messaging with the strategic direction of the organization. The MD will take the lead on the execution of priority strategic initiatives. This responsibility will critically involve writing grants, contracts, and proposals at the initiation phase; executing new programs at the implementation stage, and marketing and communicating program success at the concluding state. Strategic initiatives include marketing campaigns, fundraising and donor management, business development, and partnership activities. Provide guidance to executive director for marketing, media relations, public relations and issues management activities. Trouble shoot any interim problems as they arise.
Duties and Responsibilities
The job-holder will, among other tasks:
• Participate in institutional planning, policy and procedure development and problem resolution with the President and other senior officers, including researching, reviewing and making recommendations on new or revised policies and strategies and on intra-departmental or inter-departmental issues, and if required, serving on university planning and policy-making committees.
• Preparing reports and other communications on behalf of the President.
• Serve as the President’s primary liaison with the MEC’s operational units (Top Management, University, Institute, School and Kindergarten), and/or government and community leadership on strategic and operational matters pertaining to the specific area of institutional interest.
• Respond to routine inquiries as delegated by the President and coordinate special projects on his behalf.
• Enhance professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, in-service meetings and workshops.
• Ensure all organizational units of the President function in line with overall MEC policies, goals, and mission and support the President in dealing with lecturers, staff, and student issues.
• Work with the President to define and advance the overall goals of MEC and manage the day-to-day operations of the Moraa Educational Complex
• Participate in the creation and implementation of a strategic business plan that defines the goals, activities and metrics of the Moraa Educational Complex
• Coordinate internal communications and regular meetings with the membership, committees and boards of the MEC
• Fostering interactions with prospective industry, academic and government partners, and stewarding existing collaborations
• Manage external relationships, including developing and servicing client relationships and tracking outcomes
• Target, pursue and cultivate external relationships, collaborations and partnerships
• Be first contact for inquiries about MEC from the private sector, government, other institutions and the media
• Gain full understanding of the scope of MEC activities and strategic plans
• Keep MEC membership informed and aware of inquiries and potential research opportunities and will help to assess their viability
• Actively pursue new national and international partnerships
• Planning and implementing of marketing and communications initiatives
• Assist in developing a professional portfolio of marketing communications tools (e.g. brochures, presentation slide sets, conference booths, collateral), manage MEC brand strategy
• Actively participate in managing content for the MEC’s website
• Deliver or participate in presentations to corporations, government and industry
• Media management (press releases, media inquiries, advertisements)
• Coordinate and participate in campus visits, events, workshops, and conferences
• Facilitating cybersecurity or privacy-related research proposal preparation and implementation
• As requested and where appropriate, participate in the preparation, coordination and implementation of major funding proposals stemming from the MEC
• Soliciting and orchestrating direct funding opportunities from government ministries at both the provincial and federal levels.
• Securing private sector, in-kind commitments and letters of support
• Managing administrative and supervisory functions
• Contribute to the leadership and supervision for all administrative staff employees of the MEC, including aspects of planning for training and development, conducting performance appraisals, assigning job responsibilities and general supervision.
• Liaise with Human Resources regarding all MEC staffing issues including job descriptions, reclassifications, performance evaluations, payroll records and staff management issues.
• Authorize, in consultation with the President, the purchase and allocation of equipment and furnishings for administration and outreach.
• Maintain internal relationship and communications with the Office of Research, Faculty- and University-level Development Staff and UW Service Offices (Finance, Graphics, Food Services etc.)
• Oversees day-to-day administrative and management operations with the President of MEC.
• Manages MEC finances related to student, professional, and faculty production work, including strategic planning, management of production related accounts, petty cash and student payroll. Generates budgets and quarterly reports.
• Helps ensure positive relations with vendors and prompt payment of bills and reimbursements.
• Trains, mentors and advises student staff in professional areas such as marketing, audience development, arts administration and general administration.
• Advises current students and student organizations, including those entering the profession and post-graduate study.
• Encourages a collaborative environment between students, faculty and staff in curricular, co-curricular, and professional settings.
• Serves on relevant University boards and committees.
• Leads or attends finance and management related meetings, and other duties as assigned.
• Act as the line manager for top management staff member within the team.
• Knowledge of applicable legislation, standards, policies and procedures within specialty area.
• Proven track-record of building long-lasting partnerships between MEC and public/private organizations to deliver collaborative impact programs/initiatives.
• Strong business, financial and strategic acumen, and critical thinking skills. Experience writing and negotiating contracts.
• Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and activities, as well as manage multiple and competing priorities under tight deadlines
• Proven ability to analyze complex problems and communicate effectively (both verbally & written) with multiple internal and external constituents, including senior campus, and senior academic leaders.
• Ability to navigate complex and difficult environments.
• Demonstrated ability to design, manage and lead teams and individuals to manage multiple priorities. Ability to engage, inform, motivate and develop staff.
• Knowledge of the goals, objectives, structure and operations of a major public educational institutions..
• Ability to gather data, compiles information, and prepares reports.
• Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
• Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
• Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
• Employee skills development and performance management skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively work with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
• Strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
• Practical working knowledge of business practices, systems and operations;
• Advanced MS word, MS outlook skills, ability to work with lookups and pivot tables.
• Ability to seamlessly work independently or part of a team in a fast-paced environment
• Capable to work with minimal supervision, including demonstrating flexibility, accountability, initiative, and self-motivation to identify and execute tasks
• Able to manage multiple and shifting priorities and meet high quality standards while working variable and longer hours under tight deadlines
• Strong attention to detail & decision-making skills
• Time/Stress management skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Office software; Word, PowerPoint and Excel
• Executes professional standards at all times: attire, communication, behavior
• Experience in editing professional and business writing
• Strong organizational skills that demonstrates a high level of accuracy and attention
• Ability to work collegially under strict deadline pressure and handle multiple work assignments
• Experience working in a high-paced environment with proper time management and organizational skills
• Ability to do technical Documentation
Master’s Degree in Public Administrations, International Relations, Political Science Business Administration or related field (PhD preferred)
• At least 10-15 years’ active work experience, including at least 8 years in a management / team leadership role, preferably in an educational, academic and/or healthcare environment
• Able to demonstrate leadership in or management of positive changes to improve organizational performance or service delivery.
• Experience with funding instruments and the establishment and implementation of research contracts between industry and academia
• Excellent networking skills and ability to maintain critical and sensitive relationships with government, industry and media among others
• We especially encourage academics with an entrepreneurial mindset searching for possibilities to leave their mark in a creative, dynamic and ambitious environment
Afghanistan – Kabul: PROVINCIAL CENTER (KABUL)
Master’s Degree, Management
Interested candidates who believe they meet the position’s requirements are requested to send a completed CV by email. The Vacancy Number and Position Title as shown at the top of this advertisement must appear in the Subject line.
A specified CV format is to be used, available for download as attached file or you can find it online in our career page at (http://moraa.edu.af/career/), CVs that are not submitted in the specified format will be rejected.
Only the CV is to be submitted: no other documents are required at this stage.
• CVs without cover letters/ application letter will not be considered.
• MEC is an (EOE) Equal Opportunity Employer organization.
In your email:
• Please give information about any notice period required by your current employer, or your earliest starting date.
• Also, state whether any of your family members have worked for MEC or are currently doing so.
Only those candidates who meet the position’s requirements will be invited for interview.